Free appointments and discount appointments.
Instant confirmation and SMS reminders.
See our licensed immigration adviser today.

  • May 23, 2018

Open Work Visas and Employer-Specific Work Visas

Are you on an open work visa or an employer-specific work visa? It is vital that you understand the difference between the two.

It is important to understand the difference between open work visas and employer-specific work visas. Accidentally or intentionally breaching your visa conditions can have serious repercussions on your future in New Zealand, and could even lead to deportation.

Open work visas are New Zealand work visas which allow you to work for any employer and in any field. The only condition is that the work done must be legal

Common open work visas include:

  • Partner of  New Zealander Work Visa
  • Partner of a Student Work Visa
  • Partner of a Worker Work Visa
  • Post-Study Work Visa (Open)
  • Working Holiday Visa
  • Study Visa

Employer-specific work visas mandate where you can work, and what position you must work in.

Common employer-specific work visas include:

  • Essential Skills Work Visa
  • Post-Study Work Visa (Employer-Assisted)
  • Talen (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
  • Religious Worker Work Visa
  • Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa

It is possible to change the conditions on your work visa, if you require. However, the procedure may change based on the exact circumstances of the situation.

If you are at all confused about your exact visa conditions, feel free to ask our Wellington immigration adviser for help.


None of the above is intended or offered as personalized immigration advice.

If you require any immigration advice or consultation, please contact our Wellington immigration adviser as soon as possible.

© Copyright 2016 AMG Immigration. All Rights Reserved